Want to know more about our support?
About the programme
The Non-Executive Director (NED) Scheme is designed to help Invest Northern Ireland SME customers strengthen their leadership capability by supporting the appointment of an experienced, independent Non-Executive Director (NED) to the company board.
How can it help my business?
The NED will use their knowledge, skills and expertise to provide objective advice, guidance, challenge and support at board level, improving strategic decision-making, the operation of the board and effectiveness of the leadership team.
Typically, NED projects will focus on several of the following:
- Improving focus on strategy and making strategic business decisions
- Improving the development or execution of a vision, direction or strategy for the business
- Improving corporate governance and the management of risk
- Improving the operation of a board and executive accountability
- Improving growth and/or scaling of the business
- Improving the management of change in organisational structure, culture, business model or succession planning
- Accessing new customers/markets, sales/distribution channels and increased export sales
What support is available?
- Advisory support to identify and engage an independent/external Non-Executive Director
- Financial support up to £10,000 or 49% of eligible costs, whichever is the lesser
- A two-year engagement, typically 12-24 days per annum
Is my business eligible?
To be eligible for the NED scheme you should:
- Be a limited or unlimited company registered in Northern Ireland
- Have turnover of at least £500k, with 25% export sales (or commit to achieve this over the duration of the project)
- Have an existing, or wish to form, a company board
What input is required from my business?
- Selecting and appointing the Non-Executive Director
- Scoping of the project in conjunction with the Non-Executive Director
- Submitting the NED Scheme application for support to Invest NI
- Negotiating and agreeing the terms and conditions of the NED’s appointment and confirming this in a formal letter of engagement
- Registering the NED as a director of the company with Companies House
How to apply
If you are interested in finding out more or applying for the Non-Executive Director programme, please contact your Invest NI client executive or complete this enquiry form.
Hear how Aurion Learning has benefitted from taking part in Invest NI’s NED scheme.
You may be interested in
Get HR advice
Get training support